HARRY KANE PUBLICLY ADDRESSES WHETHER HE’LL RETURN TO TOTTENHAM AMID RECENT LINKS AS SPURS STEP UP STRIKER SEARCH

HARRY KANE PUBLICLY ADDRESSES TOTTENHAM RETURN LINKS AS SPURS CONTINUE SERIOUS STRIKER SEARCH.
Bayern Munich striker Harry Kane has finally given a clear indication of where he currently stands regarding a possible return to the Premier League, amid continued speculation linking him with a move back to England.
The England captain has previously been mentioned as a potential target for Manchester United, while his former club Tottenham Hotspur have also remained closely associated with the possibility of bringing their all-time leading goalscorer back to North London.
However, Kane’s latest comments suggest that a return to the Premier League is not currently at the top of his priorities.
The 33-year-old has enjoyed a hugely successful spell in Germany since leaving Tottenham for Bayern Munich in the summer of 2023. Although his first season in Bavaria ended without the Bundesliga title, Kane has since helped Bayern reclaim their position at the summit of German football.
His goals have played a major role in Bayern’s success, with the striker helping the club secure back-to-back Bundesliga titles while also contributing to their 2025/26 DFB Pokal triumph.
Kane’s move to Germany was initially viewed as one of the biggest decisions of his career. Having spent virtually his entire senior career in England, the former Tottenham star opted for a new challenge with one of Europe’s biggest clubs.
There had been plenty of questions about whether Kane would eventually return to the Premier League, particularly given his desire throughout his Tottenham career to win major trophies and establish himself among the greatest English forwards of all time.
Despite those questions, his time at Bayern appears to have changed his perspective considerably.
Kane, who captained England during the 2026 FIFA World Cup, is now entering the final year of his current Bayern contract. That situation has naturally led to increased speculation about his future, with several major clubs reportedly monitoring developments surrounding the striker.
Barcelona have been linked with an interest in Kane, while Saudi Arabian side Al Hilal have also been mentioned among the clubs keeping an eye on his situation during the current transfer window.
For Bayern, the priority is understandably to keep hold of their star striker.
The club have already begun discussions regarding a potential new contract, and Kane has made it clear that he is relaxed about the situation rather than becoming distracted by the speculation surrounding his future.
Speaking to Kicker on Tuesday, August 18, Kane confirmed that discussions over a new deal are expected to begin soon.
He said: “We obviously said we wanted to talk after the World Cup and after my holiday. So I’m not sure exactly when, but they’ll start this week, next week… We’ll start those talks.
“Like I’ve said before, we’re calm; I think they’re calm with the situation.”
Those comments appear to suggest that Kane and Bayern are approaching the negotiations without unnecessary pressure. The striker has also demonstrated through his performances that he remains completely focused on football despite the uncertainty over what happens beyond his current contract.
Following England’s involvement at the World Cup, Kane was given an extended period of time away from Bayern before eventually returning to join up with his club teammates.
He subsequently featured in Bayern’s pre-season preparations, including their 4-2 friendly victory over Heidenheim, as the German giants prepared for another demanding campaign.
While Kane appears settled in Munich, speculation about a potential Premier League return has continued to follow him.
Tottenham supporters, in particular, have remained interested in the possibility of seeing their former captain return to the club where he established himself as one of the best strikers in world football.
Kane spent years at Spurs, becoming the club’s record goalscorer and one of the Premier League’s most prolific forwards before eventually deciding to leave in search of trophies.
Manchester United have also previously been linked with the England international, meaning there has been no shortage of potential destinations should Kane eventually decide that his time in Germany has come to an end.
There is also another major incentive surrounding a potential Premier League return.
Kane is currently just 47 goals away from matching Alan Shearer’s all-time Premier League record of 260 goals. A return to England could therefore give him a realistic opportunity to surpass Shearer and establish himself as the competition’s greatest-ever goalscorer.
However, Kane’s latest remarks indicate that breaking that record is not enough to convince him to leave Bayern at this stage.
KANE ADDRESSES PREMIER LEAGUE RETURN
The clearest indication of Kane’s current thinking came when he spoke to Henry Winter after receiving his second European Golden Shoe at an awards ceremony on Wednesday.
Rather than suggesting that he is actively looking for a way back to England, Kane explained that his desire to return to the Premier League has diminished since making the move to Germany.
His comments will likely come as a disappointment to Tottenham fans who have continued to dream of seeing him wear the Spurs shirt again.
Kane said: “When I first left (Spurs in 2023), for sure it was something that I thought I’d definitely be coming back. That itch isn’t there as much anymore. I’m extremely happy here in Munich. It’s opened my eyes to a totally different world of football outside of England. It’s made me appreciate European football even more.
“With the team we have here, with the manager (Vincent Kompany). My family are really settled here. It’s just about being in the best place possible. I never say never but, for now, I’m concentrating on Bayern Munich and we’ll see what the future holds.”
Those comments appear to represent a significant change from Kane’s mindset immediately after leaving Tottenham.
At the time, the striker reportedly viewed his move to Bayern as a new chapter rather than necessarily the end of his relationship with English football. A Premier League return appeared to remain a possibility somewhere down the line.
Now, however, Kane has admitted that the desire to return to England is not as strong as it once was.
His happiness in Munich appears to be a major factor behind that change.
Kane has adapted extremely well to life in Germany, both professionally and personally. His family have settled in Munich, while his performances have continued to demonstrate why Bayern were willing to invest heavily to bring him to the Bundesliga.
The presence of Vincent Kompany as Bayern manager is another factor that Kane appears to value.
With the team continuing to compete for major honours domestically and in Europe, Kane has little obvious reason to force an exit.
Instead, his immediate focus appears to be helping Bayern continue their success while negotiations over a new contract take place behind the scenes.
A return to Tottenham, therefore, currently appears to be something Kane is leaving firmly in the category of possibility rather than something he is actively pursuing.
His use of the phrase “I never say never” means that the door has not been completely closed, but the rest of his comments make it clear that Bayern Munich remains his priority.
KANE ALSO TARGETING BALLON D’OR SUCCESS
Away from the speculation over his club future, Kane has another major individual ambition on his mind.
The Bayern forward is among the contenders for the Ballon d’Or, with the prestigious individual award scheduled to be presented in October.
Winning the award would represent another major milestone in what has already been an impressive career.
Kane has previously collected numerous individual honours, but the Ballon d’Or would arguably stand above them all because of its status as football’s most prestigious individual prize.
The England international has acknowledged just how significant the award would be, although he insists that he is not allowing the possibility of winning it to distract him from the new season.
He said: “I know I had a great season last season, but the focus is on this new season,”
Kane also recognised that the final decision is outside his control because the winner will ultimately be determined through votes.
“The Ballon d’Or’s not in my hands. I’ve done what I can do in terms of putting in the performances. It’s now down to votes and other people and the media – stuff I can’t control – so we’ll see what happens.
“Obviously, it would be amazing if it was to happen. But ultimately, it’s still two or three months away before that’s decided, so it’s not something that’s at the front of my mind right now.”
For now, Kane’s attention is firmly on Bayern Munich and the season ahead.
The German champions will begin their Bundesliga campaign against Stuttgart on August 28, giving Kane another opportunity to add to his already impressive goalscoring record.
While Tottenham supporters may continue to hope that the striker eventually returns to North London, Kane’s latest comments provide perhaps the strongest indication yet that such a move is not currently on his immediate agenda.
His priorities appear to be clear: continue performing at the highest level for Bayern, compete for major trophies, work towards securing a new contract in Munich and potentially challenge for the Ballon d’Or.
A Premier League comeback has not been completely ruled out, but for the time being, Kane appears perfectly content with his decision to leave England and build the next chapter of his career in Germany.


